YouTube is Google’s video hosting service. It allows you to watch delayed or live videos and comment on freshly watched videos. Launched in 2005 by 3 former Paypal employees, Steven Chenm, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim – then bought by Google in 2006 – the service now largely dominates its specialized competitors. On the other hand, it must face the rise of video on social networks. We obviously think of Instagram, Twitter and especially Facebook. To adapt, YouTube is gradually rolling out social features (YouTube Community), inspired by other social networks (sharing links, photos, GIFs, etc.) and doing everything to keep YouTubers on YouTube.
Key figures for YouTube in 2020 worldwide
- 2 billion users use YouTube each month (MAU)
- Over 80,000 videos viewed in one second on YouTube
- Over 1 billion hours of videos viewed on YouTube by people around the world every day
- Several billion views per day
- Over 70% of YouTube videos are viewed on mobile
- 37% of global mobile traffic is on YouTube, ahead of Facebook (8.4%) and Snapchat (8.3%)
- Number of videos added to YouTube
720,000 hours of video are added to YouTube per day
- 500 hours of video every minute
- 30,000 hours of video each hour
- It would take 82 years to view the number of videos added to YouTube in one hour.